Monday, April 6, 2015

Skies: What We Fight For

"I Took Infinity From The Sky and I Made it My Own
  But not for you to turn into your personal property
  I...I will outlast the turning of time,
  But I know that you're,  know that you're scared of me
  And what I can achieve, But I won't be waiting"
-Fountainhead(Hands Like Houses)

It was my first time entering a club. My best friend, Gavin Russo, who just finished the last of his Finals yesterday invited me out, even though he knew I never drink anything stronger than a Sprite. I haven't seen him in a while so I agreed to it.
We're at the bar side and people are dancing here like packed rats. Gavin's been trying to egg me on to drink alcohol.
"Come ooooooon Martin. We're 19 years old. We didn't turn legal to sit around and play Call of Duty everyday." Tsk. I'd appreciate it if he left my gaming tendencies out of this.
"I just don't like the taste of alcohol." Or the smell, for that matter. He's already had about three shots and his breath smells like sake. They serve it here and he loves it.
"Come on, lets just watch the people dance or something." I'd dance, but the limited space and how I have this tendency to step on other people's toes are stopping me.
Then again, he wasn't listening to me and full on just ordered more drinks.
"Here." He handed me this strange, Gatorade Blue, drink. "It's called a Hawaiian Kool Aid. I know you don't like the stuff I like, so I thought I'd try to appeal what you want! I mean you eat anything sweet you could grab almost to the point of diabetes anyways. Give it a chance!"
I gave him a stern look and then a look at the tattooed bartender. He was serving burning drinks to some kids.
Eugh. God no.
"No." He frowned.
"Try it." I just stared at him. That was when he gave me that serious do it or die glare.
"Martin Jacobs. You will drink that 23 Dollar drink or so help me I will destroy your Playstation 4 when you're asleep and when I may or may not be drunk. And I won't feel guilty for it"
Ok! Fine!
...He'd seriously do that if I didn't. He once destroyed my 3DS. He paid for it a week later though when I gave him a massively cold shoulder.
I grabbed the blue drink and sipped it.
It was sweet... But I could still taste the Alcohol in it. And it wasn't weak.
"I am not going to get drunk with this." I was bluffing of course. A drink like this, I might get drunk. He's been trying to get me to drink so he could see me drunk. The only other time I drank something was at a Party my popular twin sister, Stacy, held when we graduated High School. Gavin was already passed out and someone apparently spiked the punch with Alcohol. I was already drinking a glass of strong Scotch because my sister forced me to. I had to get a chaser, because I was getting woozy so when someone handed me Punch, I never really knew if it were spiked or not. Long story short, I got drunk. And Gavin was too passed out to see it first hand.
From the pictures and stories from a friend(And the puke on the floor), I was pretty crazy.
But the biggest proof was that I was naked in my bed with Lyra Sanders when I woke up(Hangovers suck. Losing your Virginity unwillingly and Unknowingly? Even Suckier).
That was pretty much the last time I drank alcohol. Until today.
"Ugh... It isn't as sweet as it is nauseating," and I set it down.
Gavin gulped down the next shot in his hand and groans.
"You're no fun. Maybe I should have just brought Alexandria or Jack or any of my other college friends."
That was the thing that stung the most about my friendship with Gavin these days. Back then, we stuck together like glue.
I was the shy guy who loved video games. He was the one who was always out there- Especially at night.
I don't really know what he saw in me that he decided to be my best friend, but we were totally opposites. Especially the drinking part. Even before Stacy's Party, he'd been the alcohol happy.
(Somehow he keeps in shape though. Must work out enough to keep away beer bellies.)
When College rolled in... Well, lets say communication wasn't as strong as before. He'd been hanging out with his College friends(They do seem nice.) more than me now and he seems to be fine with it. I can't say I'm not the same. I've met some pretty great guys that had been with me throughout my years in college, but I don't forget easy.
And to think we went to the same college too.
It was just us the first few weeks. Then we made a few friends, but we were still together. Then we just sort of... Grew apart.
I guess it's true what they say. Nothing lasts forever.
"Why'd you become friends with me in the first place?" I asked. It wasn't a threatening question or a guilt trip. It was an honest query. I scratched my head and looked at my phone. It was 10 PM.
"It's not as if I doubt our friendship. It's just... We're so different. And I never questioned it before because we always just stuck together. But these days, we never seem to see each other, or talk. I hate to say it, but it's like we've grown apart."
I realize I've been talking in my normal tone and remembered we're in a club. I doubt he could have heard any of that. Did he?
I turned his direction to check on him. His cheeks were red from the alcohol and he has that relaxed smile that could only mean one thing.
He's drunk.
It was facepalm time. I should have guessed he'd be drunk from so many shots by now.
It just surprised me it took him this long to start.
"Forget it." I say. "I didn't say anything. I'm going to the bathroom."
Which was where? With so many people here, it was hard to see where I could possibly go. Then again, I didn't really need to use the bathroom. I just wanted to go somewhere quiet and relax my mind. Maybe catch up on Final Fantasy Record Keeper on my phone.
Besides. I can't leave the poor guy by himself here. He's drunk and he's going to piss a lot of people here if I don't get him home later.
So thus began my trek through the masses.
But it didn't even begin.
Gavin caught me by the wrist and brought me back to the bar.
"You're not... *hic* going anywhere."
Ugh...
"Maaaartin, stop being a kiiiiljoy." He murmured. "Then again.... That's what I like about you."
What? What kind of fun person wants a killjoy friend?
I could go to the bathroom now, but let's hear what his drunken stupor would have him say.
Gavin places his chin to the bar and plays with his shot glass.
"I could... go... *hic* be friends with  the assholes or the other alcoholics or druggies back then... But thats *hic* pretty stupid. You can't always be friends... with someone who's like you."
He turns his head to me and grins.
"You just get me Martin. *hic* hahahaha... Even if I'm the biggest asshole in the world, you seem to care enough to go out of your way and come with me to this shtinking bar..."
"It's a club and you don't want to say that in front of the nice bartender." I reprimand him. The bartender smiles and wipes a shot glass.
"Whatever." He wipes his eyes. "The point is... *hic* You could be the biggest geek I've ev*hic*er met, but you have heart. *hic* The guys are nice, but they just *hic* won't always have that *hic* history we've had. And the Physics of course."
I held back my laughter. "You meant Chemistry, right?"
"Bah! Barte... Barte... BAR GUY! Get.. *hic* another shot of... two of... Belgian Ale! Wait.. No! Rum! no!!! I want whiskey."
The bartender starts pouring.
"Wait, no-" I began.
"It's just Iced Tea kid. Don't worry about it."
He slides two into our direction.
I gave it a whiff and fair enough. It was Iced Tea.
Gavin took a shot and didn't seem to notice the difference in taste.
"Let's get you home." I say. I gave the bartender a big tip(He was really happy about it) and carried Gavin to my Toyota Vios.
His apartment was on the third floor of the Frigid Luxury Apartments Building on room 312. The most prestigious Apartment in Gallows City. I forgot to mention. Gavin's family is loaded. I've been here so many times(Especially when Gavin's friends would ask me to bring him home) that the staff and neighbors practically know me.
"Need help with him today Martin?" said Mikey the Guard.
"It's fine. I got him." I also have keys to his apartment. Mr. and Mrs. Russo trust me enough to give me a key and keep an eye on him if ever he gets into trouble
His apartment room was a bit messy. Oh right, it's a Thursday. His apartment's never clean on Thursdays.
"Night Gavin." I placed him on his bed and began to leave. I checked back. He was snoring.
Hey! That's my copy of The Last of Us that I lent him two months ago! I forgot all about it.
... Yoink!
I locked the door and began my way down to the parking lot and then into my car.
The Vios revved finely and I started to drive.
I stay at the Dorms at Gallows University. I've got my dorm room all to myself... Or so I wish. My roommate, Aron, always seems to be away.
Ugh, that Kool Aid thing just gave me some sort of hunger aftertaste.
I need a snack. Thank god there's a 7-11 out here in Gallows.
Cheetos are the first things I pick up and a can of Sprite.
This was a real party if you ask me.
I paid the cashier and left.
Cheetos. Your cheesy puffs will be mine!
My car was my second haven after my Dorm room. Whenever I feel sad or angry or bad, I just sit here and listen to I The Mighty and eat or play some video games. It's gotten me through a lot of tough times. And out of the house we used to call home.
So I stayed at the parking and binged on the snacks as I turned up the volume for These Streets are Alive.
"Help Me Stranger! I'm Begging for More!
 You've got plenty to spare but you just stare at the floor!
 Help Me Stranger! These Streets are Alive!

 I'm a Capable man! Just got lost on this-
*Bump*
What the hell?!
What the fuck was that?! Did something just bump into my car?!
I'm parked! How could some moron hit me? A drunk moron?
I opened the glove compartment and took out my flashlight and my Switchblade.
I don't just collect video games. I've been collecting weapons for as long as I could(Though the Pepper Spray was a gift from my Sister), and I'm happy to say these things have saved me from many things.
Muggers, Thieves(Ha that was a really funny one. Try stealing my phone. Tasers are really painful.)
Now... The question is... Do I go out? Or do I just drive away and not care if I hit someone.
It was now or nothing.
 I checked the rear first. No damage.
Phew.
"Meow" Wha?! My knife was outstretched only to find an orange tabby cat. "You scared the shit out of me kitty." It jumped inside my car as a hand comes into my sight.
"Oh... Crap!" This... person... was wearing a hooded sort of  garment that was sun themed. I checked closer. It was a girl.
"Miss, are you ok?" She didn't reply, but suddenly grunted and got up. I checked my car. Unscathed.. Whoo.
Wait, where's she going? "Miss?"
Then a bloody moan came out of nowhere. The girl did a 180 and began walking back to my direction.
And then it came. It had gleamy silver eyes and it was shaped like Red XIII from Final Fantasy 7. It had a crescent moon etched on its head.
"HOLY....SHIT!" I could handle muggers, bullies, or any human that I think isn't built like Dwayne Johnson or Chris Hemsworth. But that things a fucking monster! If it looked anything like a Heartless from Kingdom Hearts, I may have considered trying to kill it. But this is Final Fantasy level and I'm not exactly what you'd call someone who can handle monsters, even if I WERE the rational type!
"Lady, we have to get out of here now before-" She ignored me and took out some sort of whip...blade. It was like Seven's weapon from Final Fantasy Type-0.
She twirled into the air and swung the weapon at it. The pointed edge lodged itself onto the creature and it died.
"Oh my god!" I shouted. Then from out of the darkness, another hooded person arrives. His clothes were now Moon Themed
"You cannot escape Teme. The Lunaris will win and we will achieve Deep Night!"
She retracted the weapon and clutched her sides. I didn't notice it was bleeding before.
The man produced a spear like weapon and deflected the girl, Teme's whip attack.
And then I ran.
Not away, but to my car. This guy was human.
"The Solaris will not stand in our way, Teme. The moon's light. It shall be-" And he began to convulse to the floor when the Taser Probes hit him.
"We should cuff him." I say.
Teme's reply was much different.
She kicked the guys weapon away, pushed me into my car and got into the drivers seat.
"H-Hey! What do you think you're doing?!"
She started the ignition and began to drive. I The Mighty's Speak to me blared into the stereo.
"Buckle up, kid."
And we began to drive deep into the City of Gallows.


~Author Notes
I'm back! After a long time of no stories, I've finally finished one I like!
I've had this idea for a few days now and I really wanted to start it.
This will be a three to four part story(Though I hope I finish it. I never seem to finish stories these days. I've got a lot of drafts that are waiting to be finished XD)
So enjoy the beginning of the Skies series.
What We Fight For.

No comments:

Post a Comment