Saturday, December 7, 2013

Guts: Ashes

"Don't tell me lies
            Just say Goodbye"
                    -Rewind(Paramore)

We neared the compound that held the satellite that brought upon the Gyros. There were a lot of Giggles at the front door. They were holding guns. We ditched the idea of going in by force and opted to go for a stealth plan.
Ernest was one step ahead of us.
“Here’s the plan... Uri, I want you to kill one or two of those guys over there. You’re range with that sniper is brilliant. They’ll be looking for the shooter, so anyone from the backdoor will be leaving their positions. Then, I’ll throw a rock at those bushes west from here to distance them more. We’ll be able to get through the backdoor. Got it? Everyone on three.”
One, Two, Three
Uri was quick with his hands. He dispatched the giggles so quickly. He made an extra effort to add two more to their casualties, making 4 dead Giggles.
Ernest proceeded to throw a rock at the bush and soon enough, they all started running that direction.
I thought they had thought. They were still stupid.
The backdoor was chrome and bulletproof. We stormed in, half expecting giggles in the first hall.
Nope, just a vending machine.
A phone rang. Ernest? Who wants to call him at THIS moment?
“Hey. Yeah. I’m in. Yeah, I’ll get you out. Yeah. Ok. Don’t worry, We’ll be fine.”
He pushed disconnect.
“Who was that?” I asked him.
“The guy who’s gonna help us.”
Our first destination would be to enter the prison cell. Ernest explained about two important allies that helped him get the information he knows. Seriously, I REALLY want to know what he does for a living. How many connections does this guy have?!
The stretch to the Cells would inevitably make us fight Giggles. The hall after the right cut off to the cell room was guarded by 3 military giggles. They noticed us and open fired. I’m surprised no one comes to their aid.
I pulled out my revolver and fired. My aim was bad while hiding behind a wall. I did manage to hit the girl’s leg though.
Uri cant fire with his gun. He needed time to aim. Then, Ms. Aria did something so unthinkable of her. She rolled to our side and fired the Beretta with remarkable speed. She quickly emptied her first magazine and disabled 2 of the Giggles.
Before I could congratulate her, I noticed her left arm was bleeding. She was grazed by a bullet.
“Like I said. Adults... Have to be an example some time in this fucked up world.”
She was more than an adult. She’s a hero.
Ernest, who was holding an old BAR assault rifle, broke into a grin.
“Right you are. And now it’s my turn. A’ight, who want’s some of this?!” He sprinted full speed and rained bullets down on the stunned Giggles. They fell relatively quick.
The area was clear.
The cell room was more like an old meeting room. The door was locked from our side. Ernest pulled Dianne’s gun out and fired at the knob 4 times.
The door opened instantly. In there, 2 men were seated in a chair.
“Aren’t you going to stand up? We’re here now.” Jessica said. The man with unkempt black hair gave a sly grin. The same Ernest would give Uri when he was joking or serious.
“I can’t.” He said. Was this a trap.
“Hold on, I got it.” Ernest walked over with his Jack Knife. With it, he sliced three thin wires.
There were bombs on their seats. Ernest disabled them in just 4 seconds.
“Ho ho, Urien. Can you do that?” Ms. Aria laughed. It was true. Ever since I met them, I’ve seen E beat Uri in almost everything.
“I knew you were good in school, but I didn’t know you’re brother-“
She stopped. She just stopped.
My eyes grew in despair.
There was a blade running through Ms. Aria’s stomach. A man, not a giggle, was standing behind her, holding her shoulder and the blade, too big to be called a knife, in his other hand.
“Tate.” Ernest said with all the acid in his voice.
“Ernest.” He replied casually and let go off Ms. Aria, who stumbled to the floor.
“No!!” My hands scrambled for my pistol and aimed at him. I fired all my bullets at him, but only managed to hit him in the shoulder and the thigh.
He attempted to run for the door, but something hit him in the head.
Ms.Aria. She fired her Beretta with the last of her strength. The man known as Tate was dead.
It didn’t take a genius for us classmates to circle her. I cradled her head in my lap.
She gave us a small smile as blood dripped from her mouth.
“This is the last” She coughed blood. “...Lesson! Ugha! I’m gonna teach.” She heaved and her breathing was slowing.
“You’re all gonna stop this. You’re all... Gonna bring this fucked up world in the right way it was fucked up before.” She grabbed my hand. “Got it?!”
We all stuttered “Got it” To her.
“Heh... Good. Wirick... You’re gonna be.... A great writer some...” She stopped. Her words cut off by her hearts end. Her smile still visible on her beautiful face. She’s gone. My favourite teacher... My mentor... Gone. I shut her eyes and felt hot tears flowing down my cheek. Everyone was the same. Ernest cursed and the other two wore sad faces.
After 2 minutes of mourning, we decided it’s best to leave now before any more Giggles or Yoli’s army arrive.
Before I left, I grabbed Ms. Aria’s Stun Gun and tucked it safely in my back pocket. The Beretta was out of ammo, so we had to leave it behind.
I never expected Ms. Aria to be the one that goes trigger happy on us.
Kyle Fort, the one with unkempt black hair, and David Urch, the other one, was one of the first survivors of the Ignition. He had run away from home with David and formed one of the biggest existing resistances underground. Ernest, who escaped from the police station at the time, met them on his way back to his apartment. They stayed in contact and relied on each other at times.
“We’re going to have to move up. Yoli should be in his room.”
We were interrupted with a screeching blow from our backs. An explosion.
“We have to move fast!” Kyle shouted. “They’re getting tricky!”
It couldn’t have hurt to install elevators! God I hate stairs.
Yoli was on the 5th floor and we were still running up these goddamn stairs.
“You are not going to pass!” A giggle with white hair blocked us. She didn’t last 5 seconds before Vivi decided to shoot her and drop her off the stairs.
It was a good idea. Giggles were apparently running after us.
“There’s the door!” It wasn’t budging. 
“We’re going to have to set it off!” David shouted. With what?!
That was quickly answered with a hand grenade he kept under his shirt.
He pulled the pin and attached it to the door.
“Run!” Who the hell wouldn’t!
We were already halfway to the sixth floor when the giggles reached the 5th. Their eyes were filled with horror, unfitting to their smiles, as they attempted to run back down. It was too late.
The door burst open, and the giggles were wiped.
“Where’s Yoli’s room?”
“Third right, Fourth door. Run!”
The fourth door was the satellite room. “Aiieee!!” Dianne shouted.
 A girl, not a giggles, held her by her neck with a knife.
“Drop your weapons!” She shouted at us. “Drop it!”
What she didn’t know was Jessica was behind her. With speed matching a military trained pro, she slit the girl’s throat with her box cutter.
“I just saw a bunch of army dudes heading this way.”
We have to hold them off. If no one stays out here, we’d be captured and killed. Worse, experimented on, but if anyone stays behind, they’d get killed.
There was silence. We bowed our heads and gave small prayer. Some of us have to sacrifice ourselves.
“Go... I’ll hold them off.”
Luke stood with his shotgun, tall and proud. David and Kyle followed.
“It’s not fair to let the newbies do all the work.” Then Ernest.
“E! What are you-“ Ernest cut him off.
“A big brother’s gotta do, what a big brother’s gotta do.”
There was more silence. Then the last of us to go was-
“Jessica.” Dianne was instantly teary eyed. Jessica had her gun to her chest. She was ready to fight.
“No. Don’t do this.” She gave a sad, last smile.
“The Class President must always lead everyone.”
Damn it, Jess... Why?
Before Dianne could protest any more, Uri pulled her with a reluctant hand.
The last I saw of them was them shooting at incoming men.
Jessica and David was the only one I saw fall.
“JESSICA!!!” We had to pull Dianne in before she went on a rampage.

The satellite room was a large dome. Yoli stand impressed. Vivi pointed her gun at him.
“You son of a bitch.”
I pulled her back. He didn’t seem alarmed to have seen us with guns. He held a single, army issued USP. The same kind Vivi held in her hands.
“Enter.” He said. Then 6 people entered. Giggles. But not just any giggles. Urien, Dianne and My Parents wore smiles.
“Mom! Dad!” I pulled Dianne back. “We can’t make any hasty moves. Yoli could kill them before we have a chance to disable the Satellite.” Uri aimed his gun. Yoli waved his hand. An order. Our parents ran at us. Vivi was prepared to fire.
“No!” I jumped at her before her shot could penetrate any of our parents.
“What are you doing?! These guys aren’t your parents anymore.” I gave her a reassuring nod.
“For now. You take care of Yoli.” I flipped my switchblade open. I can’t kill them, but I can hurt them. I dashed at full speed, colliding with my parents. I started with dad. I can’t hit him anywhere above the heart. Arms, legs. Just disable them.
“Do you want to get grounded, young man?!” I missed that voice. I felt myself grin.
“I thought you’d never ask.” In the span of 4 years, dad had lost weight. He was like one of those military men you’d see in camps, not the flabby stomached, goofball I knew. I could say the same for mom. She looked like a fitness model. If it weren’t creepy, that smile suited her.
Dad held out a baton. He and I were face to face. Uri and Dianne were in the background, doing the same with their parents. Vivi was having a USP gunfight with Yoli.
Dad swung the baton. I sidestepped and he hit the floor. The tile shattered. Mom came at me with a mop and swung it sidewards at me. I ducked and kicked her in the shin.
“You are a disrespectful young man!”
“You taught me that!” Now was the time for offense.
I dodged the baton again and grabbed his arm. With no mercy, I swung the switchblade up, slashing his good arm. Then I went for his knee. He toppled down. He was big and bulky now, but without clarity in his mind, I was able to outmaneuver him. As a precaution, I dished at his right leg too, making him limp for at least a week, and hit him in his lower occipital. He was down. Now for mom.
There was a sloppy wetness that hit my face. Mom was lighter, and more agile than Dad. I was on the ground
“You refused to do chores, well now I’ll show you how chores are going to kill you.”
She raised her mop. Without pity, I kicked my leg in an arc, managing to kick her mop away. I barrel rolled to the left before she could think about stepping on me.
As I began to stand, the switchblade was knocked out of my reach.
Mom wasn’t a cheerleader in her day for nothing. I have to do something. I ran for Dad’s baton and barely dodged my mom’s lunge.
Before I could slam her with it, she was already in front of me.
I was on the ground the next minute with my Python pointed at me.
“Mom...” I felt my voice waver.
Her smile was fixated and the gun was in between my eyes.
“You always loved Final Fantasy 10. Well now, I’m going to send you to the farplane.”
I shut my eyes. And I heard it. Mom’s cries from the inside her heart. She was still there. She was trapped. The next move I make is the last of my daredevil’s spirit to risk everything in these last few stands. The last I will make to return everything back.
I slowly stood, her gun still followed my rise.
“Go ahead.” She looked at me with total confusion. So is the others. Uri and Dianne’s parents stopped to glance at us. Uri and Dianne too.
“Shoot. If that’s what it takes.” She was failing. She was regaining control.
She nervously clicked the hammer of the gun.
I pushed myself to calmly walk, pushing her back.
“Shoot me if it makes you happy. Shoot me if it’s enough to make you open your eyes. But-“I slowly took the gun by the barrel and slowly lowered it.
“-If you’re coward enough to think that this won’t end, then you are dead wrong, ‘Mom’!”
Her hands were trembling, her fingers, trailing off the trigger. Her smile was slowly dissolving. It was working. I tossed the gun away.
“Come back.” I opened my arms for a hug. “Come back to us.”
Her smile was gone. All fury in her eyes was no more. She was slowly falling to her knees with tears flowing down.
“I’m s-so sorry.” She clung to my shirt and cried.
“I’m sorry.” She repeated, and as she attempted to say it again, she clenched her jaws and rubbed it with her hands.
“Ow! My mouth. It hurts like a bitch.” That’s what happens when you were forced to smile for 4 years straight.
“What’s going on?!” The others were starting to return to normal. Dianne hugged her parents with all her love.
“Where’s Ernest, Uri” He did not answer. Ernest...
How could Urien answer? Ernest stayed out for his death.
“No... No! This can’t be!” Yoli was in panic. Then his eyes trailed to me.
“You!” He pointed the USP at me. My mom blocked me. “This is your fault. If you hadn’t... It’s alright. Just you lot. I still have control. But I’m going to have to get rid of you. An anomaly like you is a danger to my research!” He clicked the hammer with anger.
“Die.” I shut my eyes.
There was a loud bang. But I was not hit, nor was my mom.
Yoli stood with surprise as he groped the bullet wound on his chest.
“I’m your opponent, you son of a bitch.” She blew at her gun. Yoli dropped dead.
“This was my dad’s. I couldn’t help but get angry at him when I saw his gun.”
The door opened. Dianne aimed her colt.
It was Ernest with a bloody Kyle on his shoulder. Ernest was gravely wounded on his stomach.
“Yo...I’m still ticking.” He fell facedown.
“E!” Uri ran to his brother. Their parents followed.
“Ernest! Wake up please.” Their mom shaked him. E gave her a tight squeeze in her hand without standing.
“Please... I’m not dead, just tired.” He gave a long sigh. “Please do not speak by my ears. Your voices are loud.”
They laughed in tears. Ernest was fine. Kyle was unconscious. Dianne approached.
“Jessica. Jessica. Is she alive? Please tell me she’s still alive.”
There was silence.
“....I’m sorry. Luke tried to save her, but... Their guns were too fast.”
Jessica sobbed silently and fell to her knees. Uri gave her a hug.
“Wirick.” I turned around. Vivi stood with my Switchblade in hand.
“It’s time to end this.” I nodded. The wire to the satellite was a thin green wire.
Without a moments hesitation, the last of the core’s influence on the satellite was gone. The thin wire cut. It was lucky I didn’t get electrocuted.
“It’s over.” I shut my eyes. It’s over. Vivi reached for my hand.
“It’s over.” We repeated it to make sure it sinked in.

In the span of a year, the damages created by Yoli and his giggles were repaired. I’m now 21 years old, living with Vivi in an apartment just next to Ernest’s. After the shock in his body, it took 3 months for him to regain control of his leg. He used a cane in that time.
Uri and Dianne visited Jessica’s grave to tell her they married.
Kyle and their organization were recruited in the CIA. Kyle also made a corporation in David’s name.
Mike and the girl, Tina, got married and had a child. Mike named him after Luke.
Me? I wrote a book. It was called... Heh, it’s gonna be stupid but... I wrote a book called Guts. It’s about everything that happened.
I named Ms. Aria’s character with her name to keep it fresh in my mind. There was a dedication written for her there.
‘Ms. Aria, you may be gone, but your memory lives on.’

It was a normal day in the park. Vivi and I were being one of those annoying couples that single people can’t stand
“So. How’s the normal life for you going?”
“Fine, Viv. It’s you I’m worried about. You seemed to enjoy your trigger frenzy.”
She gave me a nudge, then kissed me.
“I guess. This is our happily ever after.”
I laughed. The sky was blue, the sun was hot, I was stating the obvious. 
I held her hand and shut my eyes.

The flames have been extinguished. The ashes have been swept.
This is truly our Happily Ever After

-Well? Did you enjoy the story? :) That was the Guts Trilogy. I hope you enjoyed your short time with Wirick, Uri, and everyone else.
Just a few notes. Kyle and David were the original characters from the ORIGINAL story that I said I did before I scrapped it. So, lucky for you, there might be a chance I'll refurbish the story and put it up here. :D
Anyways, See ya!
~S and D


No comments:

Post a Comment