Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Glare: Common Danger

Previously on The Glare Series:
Glare: Common Sense

What felt like 6 hours was actually just 4.
I'm surprised I managed to count the time, considering how I pried 4 bullets off of Matt's body. It's a surprise he managed to avoid getting hit in the head or heart.
That or the gunner's just a lousy shot.
"Who was chasing you?" He gave a distinctly weak 'Huh?'
"Being shot once means the guy was drunk. Twice, the guy didn't want you dead. Thrice, He was really after you. More than that? Someone wanted you dead."
He didn't answer. Just a short groan. I can't blame him for being horribly injured, but I DO blame him for making me stick my lips on on his.
God that was disgusting.
"Look, if you're going to stay here, you have to tell us what happened. You can't keep hiding things from us..." But that's just it. If we knew something, we just might die from it. We're already in deep shit for bringing him home.
"I'll give you the night to think about it." I said, as I placed gauze on his wounds.
"For now, you can sleep here on the couch. There's only 3 rooms in our house. Mine, Heather's, and Our Parents room. That's off limits."
He gave me a barely there nod, and I shut the lights as I walked back to my room.
My bed felt more uncomfortable than it usually is.
It was like cold, dagger eyes stared into me...
For the first time in 8 years... I was scared. Scared for my life. Scared for Heather's life.
Scared I might not live to see another day.
I'm nothing special to talk about. I'm just a teenager from Detroit. I'm not money bound, and I may have grown up in the wrong side of the tracks, but I'm pretty sure I've made no enemies in my stay here.
I hope so.

                                                                             ~X~

My night was horrible. I barely got any sleep. And the few hours I DID get some, I had fuzzy dreams about a man with a gun. Not surprising since I just patched up a guy who was shot 4 times. The same guy I revived just 8 hours ago with a Stun Gun. The same night I saw a battered up corpse.
I walked out my door and found Heather sitting with Matt at the table. From a stranger's angle, it looked like they were father and daughter.
Too me, it was like putting danger with innocent.
"Hey." I said casually. They were eating cheerios. A third bowl was set up for me.
I plucked the cereal box from the table and started pouring.
"Ian, this guy's cool. Can we keep him?" Matt raised a brow and gave a wry smile.
"We'll talk about this later." I didn't want to talk at all. I had a terrible night's sleep, and I want to try and live the next 5 hours of class sleeping in my desk.
"Who peed on your cheerios?" I sighed.
"Terrible night. Listen, we have class, so hurry it up or we'll be late." She scoffed and left for her room.
There was an awkward silence that filled the room as soon as Heather's presence left.
"Um..." So much for the silence.
"Thanks...For everything." I gave him a nod and looked at him.
"I suppose your going to be leaving soon, or else we'll get into trouble we don't wanna mess with."
More Silence. It's better this way. Maybe the looming danger I'm feeling might even go away.
"I...Was actually gonna ask if I can stay." That...Took me by surprise. I guess movie cliches AREN'T so accurate after all.
"Why?" I didn't want to tell him to leave or ask anything more than 'Why?'
"If I run out of this house, they might find me. If they do...." I gave him a hesitated look.
I knew it. More danger was coming. It was common sense to try and help a dying man from death. But to help him escape something as complicated as enemies, he's looking at the wrong person.
What can we do? I'm a teenager. Heather's a WHINY teenager.
Housing him may be the right thing to do but...
He stared into my eyes. It was like, he was trying to read me. Or tell me something. It was like a command...
"Look...Matt. Things are hard enough with our life. You have to give me time to think about it. For now, you can stay. Give me 5 days to think about all this."
He wasn't answering. His stare disappeared and was replaced by a puzzled look.
"...What's wrong?" I asked. He shook it off and smiled.
"It's nothing. Thanks." Weird.
"Ok... Anyways, if what you're saying is true, then you shouldn't leave the house at all and try to stay out of contact with the windows or phones." I don't want whatever's hunting him down to go after my family either. I just wanna get through this day without finding another dead body.
Heather got out of her room.
"Ian, let's go." I put my bowl into the sink and grabbed my bag on my way out.

                                                                      ~X~

As expected, the police have arrived at the alleyway.
Looks like we wont be taking our usual shortcut to school today. Great. Just great.
"Ian, we'll be late. We're making Ice Cream today."
"What do you expect me to do? I can't make the police 'Magically' disappear." My hands were flailing. Sorry Heather, but I'm in too bad a mood to try and be nice today.
"Geez, you're deplorably grumpy this morning." She said. "Look, why don't we just tell them we need to pass through the alleyway?" A sigh released from my mouth.
"Fine..." Heather led the way towards the crime scene. The officers stopped us.
"This is a crime scene. You can't be here." I terribly wanted to tell the officer everything that happened last night. Maybe he'd even get that Matt guy out of our house.
"Can we please pass by? We still have class and we're running late. This is our only shortcut to school" I pointed at Witherwood High just beyond the alleyway. He gave a commanding scoff.
"Look, kid. It's protocol. I can't just let you pass this way. You might dirty the evi-" Our eyes met and I could hear myself saying please and laughing at myself from the inside of my brain.
"Alright." What? He waved at the other policemen to clear the way.
"Go on. Go. Get to class." I...Don't know what just happened, but that means an easy pass to school then. I grabbed Heather by the hand.
"Cover your eyes." I looked straight ahead and avoided contact with the rotting corpse. Heather covered her eyes with her free hand.
"Don't look back."

                                                                      ~X~

"You WHAT?!"
"Not so loud!" If there's anyone I can tell about the chaos about last night, It's Darcy Black. She's been my best friend for as long as I can remember. Her voice broke into a whisper.
"Why didn't you call 911?!" Other than the fact that Matt somehow convinced my otherwise unconvincable sister to not call the police, My phone's battery had died early.
"Matt stopped us." I told her. Her eyes were unbelieving.
"Are you serious? An injured guy somehow managed to stop you from calling the police. Did you think that maybe that guy was a criminal?" Somehow, he didn't emit that aura. Just that, he was hurt and needed help.
I sighed and tried my best to convince her to not talk about it anymore.
"Are we still staying for tonight?" I asked.
"Unfortunately, yes. Patricia and Carl's meeting up with us around 6:00 at the library. Heather's fine with us right?" How could she not? Three girls at a room? She wont be able to stop herself from talking too much.
"Friggin Mr. Kites. I can't believe our projects deadline was tomorrow." Can't believe or didn't bother looking at my texts? This IS a science project.
"Yeah, well I've got math next. I'll see you around."
"Kay." We gave each other the usual fives and left.
I couldn't help but feel someone watching. Someone by the windows. Someone's stares digging into me.


Read the Third Part of the Glare Series Here!
Glare: Common Ground

No comments:

Post a Comment