Friday, November 8, 2013

Glare: Common Sense

The streets were oddly cold for the night.
I mean, sure, It's nearly December, and walking down the alley can get creepy sometimes, but this is just stupid. This isn't some horror reality show that's supposed to scare me out of my shoes. Octobers done! Unless, it's just me...
"Ian, I'm cold." My little sister was shivering. So it wasn't just me. I took off my jacket and put it on her shoulders.
"Look, Heather, lets just get out of this creepy alley before we get mugged or something." It's not like we have much of a choice. The only way we can get to school without taking the long way is by going through this small alleyway. It's gotten to me a few dozen times but I never really got this cold unless I were hauling up Ice from 7-11. Speaking of... That's Ice just over there.
"Who would waste such precious ice like this?" Said Heather. We're not exactly the richest family in town. We live together in a small house our parents got us. Since they have to work overseas, It's only me watching over Heather and doing household. I have to work part time to get some things we need since our parents can only pay for so much.
"Whoever they are, they must be one of those rich bastards who can throw these things away because they can."
Heather wasn't moving. She was glued to the floor.
"Heather?" She was shaking now. Not from the cold, but her eyes must have met something to make her shake like that.
"Heather, what's going...on..." The longer I continued to walk nearer and nearer, it looked like some sort of red liquid continued to flow.
"Please be ketchup." It wasn't. On the ice, lay a body. A woman, I assume she's in her 20's, but  I can't exactly tell. Her face has been given a brutal makeover that even a baseball bat can't accomplish.
"Ian! Look!" She was holding her hands up over her mouth in horror. There was a hand sticking out of the ice.
I don't know what drove me, But I pulled the hand up.
"Ian! What are you-" It took me a while, but I was able to pull out a man. Around his 30's too. This time I can confirm. It looked like he was shot and beaten, barely escaping the same fate as the girl.
"Who would do such a thing?"
"I think I'm going to puke..." Heather said. She wasn't lying. Her face was green.
That's when I felt it.
A pulse.
I laid him to the ground. He wasn't breathing, but I definitely felt a pulse.
"Ian, what are you doing now?!" She was hysterically flailing her hands back and forth. "We should be calling 911! That's common sense! We just discovered 2 corpses!"
I stopped her there. "Just one. This one's still alive. Give me a hand!"
"What?! All the more reason to call 911! We don't know what we're dealing with! We might end up killing him!"
I ignored her and started pumping his chest.
"Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god. Big brother, stop, stop, stop, this is really creeping me out."
"Would you rather do this to Ms. Deadso over there?" She shrieked.
"Then help me!" After what felt like 10 minutes, we gave up pumping. I had no idea what to do next. I'm a high school student! Teachers don't exactly teach us how to revive nearly dead people!
"Ian...There's one thing you could try..." What did she mean? Oh I'm perfectly aware.
"Oh no, Heather. I am NOT performing CPR on him!" I gave her an incredibly disgusted look. She gave me a 'Do you think I will?' look.
"I'm not doing it! I might get herpes or something!"
I looked at him. His pulse was getting weaker. If I didn't do something, I'd be letting this man die. I pinched his nose.
"OMG, you're not going to- Holy shit, Ian! you are NOT, going to do THAT, are you?! OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, Ian, Stop. I'm begging you big bro, please do not traumatize me any more I should be!" Too late.
"W-What choice do you have." I felt the quiver in my voice and revulsion creeping up my throat. Mouth to Mouth isn't exactly my first option, but what else do I have to lose. Besides my dignity.
"Ian, I swear, I'll do the dishes for 5 months, just dont do it." Tempting, but I don't have a choice. My face crept up incredibly slow, hoping for a miracle to happen.
Any second now.
Please god, Any second now!
Any Second!
My Mouth was locked into his. I tasted a small hint of mint before I blew air into his lungs.
"OHH EHM GEE. OHMYGOD! OHMYFRICKING GOD! IAN!" She obviously wanted to look away, but she wasn't. She was blushing, even, fanning her hands to her face. I'm starting to think she's even enjoying this.
He was still unconscious.
I did another quick one to try and revive him.
My pride and dignity better be worth this.
My lips pushed into him once more and a rush of air pushed into him.
I wiped my mouth and spit as much saliva out of the trash can.
His pulse returned, but he was not waking up. His breathing hasn't returned, and I'm too revolted to perform a third mouth to mouth.
I needed to think of something.
Think. Think of all the times you've watched Scrubs and House, Ian Fringe.
Too bad I've only ever watched 2 or 3 episodes of the shows.
All I can think of is the defibrillators hospital staff use to try and revive those who flat lined. Obviously we don't have those.
Or do we?
"Heather!" She looked at me, stunned
"W-What?! You're not going to make me do it too, are you? I mean he's hot, but..."
"Give me your Stun Gun!" She gave me a puzzled look but reached into her hand bag and tossed her Stun Gun to me.
With a small, metal lid, I made a makeshift Defibrillator. I ripped his shirt open, leaving his chest bare and prepared for the worst.
"I hope this works." I shut my eyes and placed the Stun Gun to his chest.
"CLEAR!" I shouted. There was a small electric crackle.
It surprisingly worked. His body arched for a second.
I prepared for a second shot.
"CLEAR!" I shouted again. Another quick electric crackle.
His eyes opened slightly.
"W-Where....is..." He's awake
"Heather! Call 911!"
"T-That's what I've been saying." She started digging into her bag for her phone, but the guy grabbed my arm.
"No..." He said.
"Eh? But if we don't get you to a hospital-" she started.
He started coughing. "N-No..." He said again and made eye contact with the flustered Heather.
There was silence. Then Heather put her phone down.
"Alright...". I'm in shock that she actually calmed down. It's not like her to calm down so quickly.
I've seen her reaction when One Tree Hill ended, and she could not have been anymore louder.
I shrugged off the mysterious calmness in Heather and carried the man up one shoulder.
"Aren't you gonna help me?" It seemed like Heather came out of some sort of trance before fumbling to grab the man's arm.
"Hey, you can't stay quiet forever. You can at least tell us your name." I said
He groaned. Ok, maybe demanding him to speak while he tries not to bleed to death might have been a LITTLE harsh, but he did make me suffer through CPR twice. It's only fair.
He seemed to hesitate for a moment, but finally said."...Matt..."
"Ok, Matt." If that's your real name anyway. "Our house is just across the street. I want you to stay conscious and try not to move too much."
He nodded. He didn't really have much of a choice. Neither did we. It was either to leave him to die in that sack of Ice, or bring him home and patch him up.
Something tells me that there's something off about this guy. And I just know... The moment we saw that guy and decided to be good Samaritans, that something bad's going to happen.

~End of Chapter: Common Sense
  Wait for the next Chapter of the Glare series and I hope you enjoyed the first. It didn't have a lot of action   Or flare to it like my previous work, All That Is Waiting, But I hope you had fun and wonder what's in store for you next! May this mystery stay in your head!
~S and D  :)

Read the Second Part of the Glare Series Here:
Glare: Common Danger

1 comment:

  1. HEATHER IS SO FUNNY.

    AND YUCK, 2 CPRS. AT LEAST IT WAS MINTY.

    STOKED FOR THE NEXT.

    E.R. : )

    ReplyDelete